Changing thumbnails

in the website


I don’t strip either EXIF or IPTC metadata from photographs I upload. It’s part of my “for-posterity” goal with the blog:

  1. Photo is linked to a time and place via metadata.
  2. Photo folder is linked to a blog post ID by name.
  3. Blog post should give important context for the photograph.

If both parts-post and images-stay together, then you will always have some useful information about the photograph. Since ~2011 an increasing proportion of images on the site has had GPS information too. I haven’t run into any privacy concerns, given that if an image could be considered that private, I simply wouldn’t upload it. But this chain of thought did encourage me to dig around with analytic information yesterday. I drew up Google Analytics, asked a few readers, and made some wild and crazy-haired guesses. I came up with:

  1. Readership here is low (~= 50 hits per day). That’s fine, since I don’t push the site.
  2. Most users come here because of specific forum links or Google searches (my post on Spacing Guild heighliners is really popular).
  3. People take what they need and leave.

But practically, I am still concerned about bandwidth usage both because I chose to host my images through Dropbox, and because of future portability.

For Basic accounts, the total amount of traffic that all of your links together can generate without getting banned is 20 GB per day.Dropbox’s policy.

Emphasis is theirs. I’ve been stung for that twice: Once when the heighliner post was linked on a big science fiction forum. The other occasion was when my World of Warcraft art was linked on Reddit. On top of this, I made some changes to the site’s theme in order to look better at larger screen sizes.

I’ve made some test changes: I’ve recompressed all of the thumbnail images on the website, and reduced their quality. The original, full size remains unaffected. Performance should be better without too much of a quality loss. If I like the effect I will generate a new set of thumbnails at 1000 pixel width and open up the content column width.

find . -type d -name 'm' -exec find {} -type f -iname "*.jpg" \; | xargs -n 1 mogrify -verbose -quality 70

EDIT: YOLO

#!/bin/bash

for dir in $(ls -1d *); do 
    if [[ $(ls "$dir" | grep ".jpg" | wc -l) -gt 0 ]]; then 
        if [[ -d "$dir/m" ]]; then 
            cd "$dir" cp *.jpg m 
            mogrify -quality 70 -resize 1000x+0+0\> "m/*.jpg" 
            cd ~- 
        fi 
    fi 
done 

exit 0


Six Months in the Mountain Kingdom

in me


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *